When we have too much eggs I start making cakes. We love cakes. I use less sugar so it is not too sweet and I can give a piece of cake as a snack to school, with a some what clean conscious. This cake I learned to bake while I traveled in Turkey: I had never seen a cake which was baked with oil or with yogurt. Now it is one of my favorite basic recipes which I use frequently.
- 3 cups flour (you can use half home grind wheat flour and the other half white flour, that is what I do)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar (or 1 cup when you use home made yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2.5 cups olive or sunflower oil
- 1 cup yogurt (I use home made which is sweeter so I can use less sugar)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 teaspoon grated lemon peel (optional)
- 2 teaspoons fresh Rosemary
Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until it is an homogeneous dough. Pour into your cake mold and bake for 45-60 minutes in a preheated oven of 160 degrees Celsius.
After you baked the cake, you can decorate with some extra springs of Rosemary and dust with some powdered sugar. You can also brush the top of the cake with some lemon or other citrus marmalade to give the cake a nice glaze.