Canning season really started this week! I bought 20 kilos of nectarines, 4 kilo of Spanish garlic, 7,5 kilo cherry tomatoes and 20 pineapples. This is what I made from it:
* canned nectarines in honey syrup 27 liter jars but 5 seals were broken. This never happened to me before. But my children know what to do with these open jars… the cost per jar is 0,60 euro cent.
* 14x 1/2-liter jars of pickled cherry tomatoes
* 4x 3/4 liter jars of whole cherry tomatoes The cost of the tomatoes were 15 euro. These jars were 0.83 euro cent per jar. I have to mention that I had all the other ingredients in stock so I didn’t calculate them for now.
*The pineapples I canned in a light syrup in pieces. I have a total of 19 liter jars of canned pineapple in a light honey syrup. Cost per jar: 1.05 euro cent per jar. Not really cheap but the difference between home canned and store bought canned pineapple is amazing. Home canned is next to the taste of fresh. My children love home canned pineapple as a dessert with some whipped cream.
From the leftover pineapple peels I started a bucket full of pineapple vinegar, for cleaning only. I am not fond of using fruit peels because you don’t know what is sprayed upon it. For cleaning purposes I think it is ok to use. The pineapple hearts and the juice I put in one of my sauerkraut jars and I think I will have a total of 10 liters pineapple vinegar but for consuming only. I use pineapple vinegar mostly to start a fermenting proces.
* I picked 2.5 kilo of blackberries and made the blackberry/apple fruit leather. I made 9 leathers. I cooked the blackberries so they release their juices and when it cooled down I put the cooked blackberries through a sieve. The blackberry pulp I mixed with some home canned apple sauce and put it on my 9-tray excalibur. I cut up the leathers in 4 or 5 long stripes and rolled them into baking sheets. I have made 40 little rolls. Now they are ready to go!
* 2x 1/2-liter jars of pressed eggplant with oregano and chili peppers. This is an Italian way of preserving eggplant and a wonderful addition to sandwiches and salads.
I still have the garlic left, but I have still time to do that.
We will have a wonderful winter again!
I added the wine to the vin de noix and finished my total of 8 liter blackberry vinegar.